Pies are a truly British thing, their origins can be traced back to early medieval England. As children we sing about them – Sing a Song a Sixpence and Simple Simon met a Pieman. So it’s not surprising that here on the Yorkshire Coast we have the most Pie-tastic place of all: the Piebald Inn in Hunmanby.
If you are a lover of Pies – or just simply a lover of good, quality, homemade, heartwarming food – there is no better place.
They famously have a pie for every week of the year – Yes! 52 types of Pie! Occasionally there’s even a 53rd pie made for special occasions – such as the Karabakh that was made especially for the Queen’s Jubilee.
All the pies are baked fresh on the premises using all the best local ingredients delivered daily. You’re advised to check-out the pie board as you arrive to check the status of each pie variety. Though the pie masters (yes that’s what the chefs are called!) are baking fresh pies throughout the day.
I asked them what the most popular pie was, but they really struggled to answer this, “All of our pies are popular as our 52 pie variety covers the most discerning of tastes, dietary requirements and life choices” (literally every dietary requirement is catered for).
Ok, so I asked what’s the most unusual pie you do? “We have the Peruvian Paso (goat for the adventurous), then we have our “Heavyweight” our all-day breakfast pie (pre-order only) and our Wonky Donkey – where else can you get a full Christmas dinner in a pie?!”
They serve freshly baked pies 364 days a year – there’s only Christmas Day when they don’t serve pie, but there’s no day off as they offer a traditional Christmas Dinner instead.
On New Year’s Eve you can join them to celebrate with a Pie & Pea supper and live music from Annie and King.
Another great favourite at the Piebald is Burns Night where you can enjoy a traditional Burns Night Supper with their very own in-house Piper!
You are advised to book ahead as you can imagine this is a popular place. With die-hard regulars making their way through the entire menu!
Here’s 10 more interesting facts about the Piebald:
- There’s lots of space inside and out with an extensive beer garden and outdoor terrace area.
- They have seven lovely rooms you can stay in, with some having access to the garden and patio area.
- They featured on Channel 4’s Four In A Bed
- Your four-legged friends are welcome too as there are dog-friendly areas in the bar and dog-friendly rooms in the hotel too!
- There’s a great range of local drinks including Timothy Taylors, Spirit of Yorkshire Distillery and Wold Top Breweries including their own Pie Pub Bitter.
- Their spacious car park is a great place for a motorhome stopover, with electric hookups available and optional breakfast when they have guests in the hotel.
- Brit Stops members can stay for free (electric not included and must bring a current book to qualify).
- They have a Route YC bike repair station – so if you get a puncture on the way there you can fix it in no time.
- They will soon have a car EV charging point too.
- Finally, through the months of January to March they offer a Piecation Special that includes a one-night stay in one of the Superior King Rooms and a Pie meal for two with a bottle of either house red/rose or white wine 😍.